Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Handheld RPGs

Hello, I'm just starting to get into the RPG genre and I figured I might as well try a few for my PSP since I haven't play the thing in a while, but I'm not really sure what's worth my time and what isn't. I'm looking for something that's reasonably easy to get into for newcomers (I'd heard good things about Final Fantasy Tactics, but was put off upon hearing of it's difficulty), yet still reasonably deep. Any help would be appreciated :). Handheld RPGs
If you are looking for RPGs that are easy to pick up, I suggest something like Brave Story, or FFVIII: Crisis Core. FFTactics is a good game, but there is a pretty steep learning curve, in my opinion. It's not a pick up and play kind of game, at least not at first. I just started playing Kingdom of Paradise, and it's pretty good so far. You could also try Jeanne D'arc, which is a strategy RPG like FFT, but it's less complicated, but also quite fun.Handheld RPGs
I just looked up Brave Story and Jeanne D'Arc and apparently neither received European releases, so those are out. I'm aware that PSP games are region free, but I'd rather avoid the hassel of having to imprort. I'll probably look into getting Crisis Core though, it seems like it would be up my alley. Any other suggestions?
Do you like JRPG's or WRPG's?
I like both, though I'm more looking for a good JRPG or two. I've always found that they tend to fit better than WRPGs on portable systems.
Tales Of Eternia (pretty hard to find) and Crisis Core are some of the best on the PSP. You should get these.
For the PSP? I cannot recommend Final Fantasy Tactics enough. I know it Looks difficult, but it isnt. It a challenge, but not frustratingly so. The story is amazing, and deals with issues and themes not found in many fantasy RPG's. If you've never played an final fantasy game before though, the items and leveling up strategy may be intimidating though.If you;ve played FF VII, then I recommend Crisis Core. In itself, it's a great game, with easy to use mechanincs and controls. Side quests can be repetive, but the plot will keep up you going.Brave Story and Star Ocean was meh, IMO.
FFT, FF7cc, jeanne darc, disgea ( hope I spelled that right )
I recommend Crisis Core. It's the hybrid between Fighting and RPG or should I say Action RPG.

I can't find a lot of JRPGs in Sweden. I want to play Brave Story but I just can't find it. Same goes for Tales of Eternia. :(
[QUOTE=''blooddog28'']FFT, FF7cc, jeanne darc, disgea ( hope I spelled that right )[/QUOTE]

Lol you didn't, it's disgaea!

But yeah I recommend Crisis Core!!! It's a really good game with terrific gameplay and good storyline!
The Legend of Heroes series is a great one for what you are looking for. Gameplay mechanics are simple and the battles are the perfect level of challenging, but the story is really deep and amazing. It's a seriously underrated series.
Final Fantasy 1 and 2 for PSP. Very easy to get into, and look gorgeous!
Crisis Core is good to begin with, Disgaea's better than tactics in my opinion but its learning curve is strong for some people id save that for later. But u know theres always gameFaqs for those hard JRPGs, with aa little dedication u can play the hard ones too
Final Fantasy Tactics would be my pick, the learning curve isnt as bad as ppl say unless you truly want to master the game, which will take tons of time and work. I now have 120+ hours on it and there are still things to do. CC is good,easy, and decent in replay ability.Other than that i would suggest Tales of Eternia.
FFVII:CC is an awesome RPG for what you're lookin for. I once played it for 5 hrs straight lol.
Seeing as you have a picture ok Welkin from VC im guessing you playing the game so im gonna have to say buy Final Fantasy Tactics as its a SRPG like VC is.
[QUOTE=''-Hoax-'']Seeing as you have a picture ok Welkin from VC im guessing you playing the game so im gonna have to say buy Final Fantasy Tactics as its a SRPG like VC is.[/QUOTE]I'll agree with this as well. Final Fantasy Tactics is a great game. The learning curve with the mechanics and what not isn't entirely difficult, more so then the actual battles. FFT is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and I still curse the game out even to this day. Especially when you have the AI controlling a special character in your party. Sometimes the computer will choose a move that you don't approve of, and it switches your strategy entirely.Crisis Core is a good RPG as well for a handheld, but if you're looking for a game most similar to VC then I definitely recommend FFT.
Try Monster Hunter Freedom 2 cause it is a rpg. LOLhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOtFdypzipQ
Final Fantasy I and II are easy to get into. Star Ocean is pretty good also with the second one on the way.
Crisis Core is enjoyable, easy to get into and lengthy. Disgaea is my favourite. It's great fun, relatively easy to begin with, although the difficulty does ramp up as the game goes on, and is very lengthy, providing countless hours of gameplay if you really get into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment